
I'm not going to say too much about this photo and how adorable this baby is right now. (I'll save it for next time when I post more from this particular session.) But I will say that this photo is not just a snapshot of her, but also a snapshot of me and this place that I have found myself to be with my photography.
And I'm not saying that this is the perfect photo. But when I got home from this session and uploaded these images, I was more than pleasantly surprised to see that things are coming together for me; that what I am learning is starting to show in my images. I see clarity in this image. Clarity because it was properly exposed. Clarity because it was tack sharp. Clarity because I knew what to do in my post-processing to give it that bit of pop it needed, but without over-processing it to get there. I am also super happy that I was able to expose properly for using a white backdrop. Oh my gosh, I just ate it big time last time I tried to do this. And man oh man, I placed her with enough distance to blur out that darn backdrop. Okay, I'm patting myself on the back for these things. But it just feels so good to be doing something right, and with intention.
This year is turning out to be a huge year of growth for me. I have opened myself up to taking classes and even going to a couple seminars... I am very proud of myself for these things, especially the classes, because I am not only an introvert by nature, but also just afraid to put myself out there. Afraid that I will be told I suck or this isn't the job for me, find something else. Yeah, I have major insecurity issues. But it's scary being watched by other people, wondering what they think of you, wondering if you have what it takes.
This is the first thing I have ever done that has felt right. I'm not great at many things. Once upon a time I used to sing... God gave me the gift of voice. I'm not using that gift too much right now, not as much as I did in the past, but it wasn't something I was truly comfortable with pursuing. I'm not musically inclined in a technical sort of way and that part held me up. And once again, I'm a bit of an introvert, remember? I also have somewhat of a gift for crafting... Nothing major. Tole-painted a bit, cross-stitched a bit, scrapbooked... Not super terrific at these things. I somewhat have a gift for teaching and graduated college with a degree in liberal studies with the thought that I would teach elementary school. And that never came to pass. To be honest, I have no desire to do that. I cringe when I drive by a school yard.
Photography is the first thing I have done that I have genuine passion for. I know with all my heart that I am doing what I am meant to be doing. This is the first time I have a desire to learn. That might sound sad to some, but seriously, nothing else has ever moved my soul like photography.
About the workshop I am currently taking, OH MY GOSH, everything I have read about Wendy Schulz is absolutely true. She truly truly has a gift for teaching. She is a wealth of information and has an amazing way of explaining things. She's thorough and makes sure you understand. I don't even think we're half way through the class and I have learned a ton! The technical, the artistic, the post-processing end, she covers it all. For any of you who have thought about taking a class or feel you need to take that next step in your photography, I can't encourage you enough to sign up with Wendy. You will not regret it.
My business... Stay tuned because I am just about to purchase a new website template and I am too excited about it! I am so grateful to Daniel for getting me to this point with his skill and support. He did a great job putting together my current website, but I'm ready to step it up a notch and I have finally made a decision on the company to go with. So stay tuned! I'm sure I'll be asking for some feedback real soon here. My goal is to launch my new site by the end of June.
I am, however, stumped on a logo design so if anyone has any feedback for me about what kind of logo they think might suit me, please share! I am so ready to do some branding here! I way over-think this kind of stuff and have the hardest time making decisions. I love simple, but I'm searching for that distinctive touch of personality that is truly me... I feel that if I could just figure out my logo that everything else, colors and design, would all fall into place.
Oh, and for anyone who remembers my previous issues with Mr. 40D... I'm giving him the boot real soon here. And it's not because I am still having a ton of problems with it. I turned it in twice now to Canon and after the second time it has done much better with its focusing. A different kind of "adjustment" was supposedly made and it really has been better. But it left a bad taste in my mouth. Also, whenever I use my Rebel XT with Tamron lens I come home with lots of super crisp shots and then I am upset all over again with the 40D. So anywho... A new guy is coming on the scene in my very near future... Mr. 5D... and he's bringing along some pretty nice glass to boot! I can hardly wait!!!
And with that, if you have actually gotten this far, I want to thank you for listening and for letting me share about myself. I really appreciate all of you who come around to my blog. I wish I were better at posting. I write out my blog posts in my head all the time while driving around town... It's just tough to do once I get home. But thank you for stopping by and for encouraging me.
Have a wonderful week and God bless!
ETA: For those of you who think the above photo is different from before, you're right! Sorry, that's kind of cheating. Improved on my color while proofing the rest of these and this just made me happier.
3 comments:
Debbie, it was so nice to read about you. I'm proud of your accomplishments...good for you! (And I noticed you switched photos!)
debbie, i don't know you, but i felt like i was reading about myself. :) i am just starting out and have SO much to learn. i haven't gotten down the proper exposure very often and i go NUTS trying to get things tack sharp. i was so encouraged reading your post and just want to let you know that your images are beautiful, they're stunning. thank you for sharing and thank you for being an encouragement to entrepreneurial ole' me. i will definitely be revisiting your blog!!! oh and congratulations on that shot! its breathtaking!!! beautiful little girl.
amy
Thank you so much, Debbie! WOW! I'm touched beyond words.... I'm so very glad you feel like it is worth it. Let's keep thejourney going!
Post a Comment