January 6, 2009

Ten on Tuesday

My first attempt at Ten on Tuesday and what better time to begin than the first Tuesday of the year, right? Okay, random stuff, bear with me...

1. I cleaned my desk today. The desk, the area surrounding my desk, and removed everything on the wall above my desk. Oh my gosh, if you only knew how awesome of a task this was to accomplish you would be jumping up and down cheering me on. The amount of dust has had me sneezing all day. I plan on going to Target in just a bit to find some dry erase boards and other office like accessories. I also have an Ali Edwards poster that I'd like to frame and put above my desk. So have I mentioned that my "office" space is in the living room? Oh well.

2. And on that note, I'm kind of letting things go around here in terms of decorating or making things look nice and homey, at least any further than they already sort of do. We hope to buy a house this year. Finally after 11 years of marriage, a house actually looks possible this year. I have found myself letting ideas go about printing and framing photos, especially all the canvas prints that I'd like for our home. Everything feels so temporary now. And who wants to invest in wall arrangements, furniture, a new TV (for the husband, of course), etc. when you just don't know what the new place will look like? My husband jokingly asked if he could hang his model airplanes from the ceiling in our bedroom the other day, and I told him to go for it. Not in our new house, but here, why not?

3. My husband and his model airplanes. I haven't mentioned his new hobby before, have I? So on most weekend mornings, unless I will be leaving early for a shoot, he takes off at the crack of dawn to go fly his plane. Kind of interesting lately since its been so cold. I'm dying to take a cool photo of his plane on the field and print a large canvas of it to hang above his desk. Haven't taken any photos of his planes. Haven't even seen him fly them. I'm not getting up at 6am though, I can tell you that much.

4. Ten on Tuesday is hard. I feel so boring.

5. While cleaning my desk area today, I made it through to some cabinet doors that have been sitting behind "stuff" and haven't seen the light of day in quite a while. Found a box of scrapbooking stuff. Not supplies or personal stuff like photos or personal momentos. But mostly magazine clippings from my younger years when I scrapbooked my favorite actors, models, entertainers. Also found clippings of cool photos that obviously moved and inspired me back then. I found that very interesting. So my first impulse was to trash most of it. And that's what I started to do by creating a trash pile and a keeper pile. Then half way through as I was looking at all these random clippings, I found myself moved and inspired all over again. Then more than anything I realized that what I was looking at was me as a young girl/young adult. How my brain worked, what made my heart happy. A lot of it was similar to what I clip out now when I come across a great photo in a magazine. Something I'd like to try one day given the chance. So I did what you can guess I did. I packed it all back up (most of it anyway), and put it back into the cabinet.

6. New Year's Resolutions. Not the best at keeping 'em. Always have a long list of them though. A few years back I read a CK (Creating Keepsakes) article by Ali Edwards about her take on making a list of resolutions and how instead she makes an "intentions" list. That idea has stuck in my mind ever since and this year I began each idea with "I intend..." I do have a list of intentions for this year and I'll try to share them in the next couple days.

7. Wii-eeeeeeeeee! My favorite Christmas gift was the Wii Fit. By some miracle (much thanks to Dennis) it was under our tree as a gift to Daniel and I. I love it! I love that it is challenging me. I love that the Yoga exercises are making my back feel better. I love that working out 30 minutes a day is so much easier now. I love that it keeps me accountable and keeps track of me when I get too lazy to do that on my own. I love that it is so interactive. I love that my whole family has gotten into it. Regular excercise has never been all that existent in our household before. It's so great to find something that is helping us be more active.

8. A good good friend from highschool contacted (found) me today. Deana, I was so excited to get your email! I think of you often and I look forward to being in contact with you again. Thanks for the email and I will write you back soon.

9. I have three projects I'll be working on this year.
Project #1: To create a little book in which I put random stuff in from my/our everyday lives. It is made up of 4x6 tabbed note cards and book rings. A very random little project. Hard to explain. Another Ali Edwards' idea...
Project #2: To create a book about myself. I know this sounds a bit self-centered. But there's so much to this idea other than focusing on myself. It's about gifting this documentation to my children. And its about personal growth. I've been wanting to do this for a long time but didn't know how to approach it. Then my friend blogged "100 things about me" for herself the other day and that gave me the idea. I want the book to be totally random, not in any particular order, and based on everyday regular topics. I think I'll go with an 8x10 album for this project.
Project #3: A daily journal formatted in survey style. I am terrible about keeping up with journals. I have never been able to keep up with diaries or journals although I have tried since being a young girl. So this may totally flop. But I'm going to try. My format is such that I have the same questions for each day. I can answer in list form or be more lengthy with my answers. The most important thing for me with this project is that I have better documentation of what the kids are doing because I'm terrible about keeping track of stuff like that and before I know it, I've forgotten the details and dates or have forgotten all together. I've done well with the first few days of the new year and I hope to keep it up.

10. I made it through my first 10 on Tuesday! Yea!!! I hope this will help me get my thoughts down more, especially about the everyday stuff that blows in and out of my mind.

Happy Tuesday and thanks for visiting!

No comments: