1. VBS was last week and this year both kids got to go! I was so glad for Ethan that he could be involved, though I'll admit I was a little sad on that first day, leaving him for the first time in a classroom environment. He was fine on the first day, cried when I left him on the second and third days, was mad at me on the fourth day so didn't care that I left him and was fine on Friday because they were having "waterplay" day. He was so cute. Can't believe how big the kids have gotten since we've started VBS three years ago. And Emma was just soaking it in this year, asking lots of questions about Jesus and loving the songs that they learn as part of the program. Got some fantastic photos and will try to come back and share tonight or tomorrow.
2. Backtracking to the start of June, Emma had her Kindergarten readiness testing at her new school and could not have done better! I was so proud, especially with her history of being a late talker and needing speech therapy. I was told that she was friendly and very articulate in expressing her thoughts. So many nice things were said about her. I fought back my tears. The teacher who did the assessment would not have known how much her words meant to me and how encouraging they were to hear. So excited about her school... Can't believe my baby is starting Kindergarten!
3. I'm almost afraid to say it, but we are ready to start looking for a house! It doesn't seem real that we could possibly be ready to buy a house... It's been such a long wait for us. I'm excited, extremely excited, but also nervous and a bit dreading the process, knowing how grueling it might be. I worry about the time it will take because I feel like I have very little time these days, especially with the holidays coming up fast. The thought of packing and moving overwhelms me. But we'll get through the process. Can't wait actually!
4. A couple weeks ago I cleaned out the kids' room, sorting through clothes they have outgrown and toys they no longer play with. I have one friend with a two month old boy and two other friends due in October (one having a boy for sure) so I was sorting Ethan's clothes for those three people... It made me very sad, letting go of his baby clothes, remembering how small he was... remembering my sweet baby boy. I found myself smelling the clothes and holding them close, even crying a little. I had all of his clothes from infancy. I know I could have been giving those clothes to goodwill along the way, but I haven't been able to part with them. I told myself that I would save them for a good friend (or two) because that would make it easier for me. I think that helped with Emma's clothes since I have two nieces to pass hers down to. So in the process of sorting, I wound up with a small pile of clothes I just can't part with and will keep. Makes me kind of sad though... Ethan was born one month early and we had to buy him preemie Onesies because he was so tiny. A couple months after he was born, a relative was having her baby early too and I gave her all those preemie Onesies. It was only afterwards that I realized I should have kept one... That tiny little Onesie would have actually fit on a scrapbook page and I so badly wanted to do that, to always remember how small he was when we first brought him home. I miss my baby...
5. Speaking of babies, it makes me sad to think that we won't have any more babies in the house of our own. I think both of us are kind of sad at the thought because we have just adored our babies. But we both also know that three would be too much for us. We can barely handle our two and that's the truth of it. How sad. I would love to hold a fresh baby in my arms again.
6. So potty-training was supposed to officially begin this week. Of the cold-turkey kind - straight to underwear, letting him make the inevitable mess that he's gonna make. Passing up the pull-ups. Doing the candy reward system like we did Emma. This guy is SO ready. He's practically changing his own diapers. But he's STUBBORN. And I'm not mentally geared up yet. So maybe next week.
7. I am getting spoiled with being able to post larger photos on my business blog... Wish I could do that here too. I might have to make some changes soon.
8. I got this from Emma on June 14th: "Mommy Debbie, I need to take swimming lessons and bubble gum lessons". Okay then! Will look into it.
9. Sherri of Beyond Red and Green chose me as one of four contributing photographers to help showcase her 2009 Christmas card templates. I feel so honored that she would pick my work and its fun to see my images over there. Take a look!
10. Michael Jackson... So many feelings about his death, his life and the loss I feel. I didn't expect it to but it has become very personal for me. On many levels. So many childhood memories of his dancing, his originality, the "beat", Captain Eo at Disneyland, even memories of my mom. Then the way he died and the way he was viewed in these last ten to twenty years... It all makes me so sad. And yes, I cried. Weird, I know. Like I said, I didn't expect it to become so personal. But once the loss sank in, my heart felt so heavy and sad. I really need to take the time to write out more of my thoughts and feelings on the subject because I think its worth recording for posterity.
Wow! I could even write a few more! Feels so good to record some of our happenings.
No comments:
Post a Comment